An indigenous community has launched a lawsuit against the Canadian government and the petro-chemical company Suncor for failing to prevent pollution.
The community of Aamjiwnaang, located in the centre of Canada's largest concentration of chemical industries, claims it has recorded rising asthma and cancer rates allegedly linked to air pollution.
The World Health Organisation says the area has highest rate of air pollution in the country, and the Aamjiwnaang believe environmental damage has caused genetic distortions in local wildlife.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Colombia and FARC sign historic ceasefire deal
- Egypt court 'voids' Red Sea islands' transfer to Saudi
- German police shoot dead hostage taker in cinema
- Dozens of pro-government fighters killed in Libya clash
- Report: 2015 was deadliest for environmental activism
- China to launch cruises to Spratly Islands: reports
|William John Cox|