An indigenous community has launched a lawsuit against the Canadian government and the petro-chemical company Suncor for failing to prevent pollution.
The community of Aamjiwnaang, located in the centre of Canada's largest concentration of chemical industries, claims it has recorded rising asthma and cancer rates allegedly linked to air pollution.
The World Health Organisation says the area has highest rate of air pollution in the country, and the Aamjiwnaang believe environmental damage has caused genetic distortions in local wildlife.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Top court approves Russia's ban from Rio Paralympics
- Deadly attack hits American University campus in Kabul
- Italy earthquake: Rescuers race to find survivors
- Somalia: Al-Shabab gunmen attack beach restaurant
- Powerful quake hits central Italy, hundreds dead
- South Sudan's Riek Machar in Khartoum for medical care