- The suit alleges Rohingya are targets of hate crimes amounting to "genocide" fueled b...
- Trans-Pacific Partnership deal, the largest regional trade agreement, will cut trade ...
- EU members finish deciding on dozens of reforms to be implemented by Greece to unlock...
- Hundreds of protesters storm meeting with bosses on job cuts and attack two managers ...
- German paper quotes confidential document containing estimates that are far higher th...
- Reports say Joo Won-moon, arrested in April for illegal entry, was repatriated throug...
Saturday, 24 March 2012 16:16
Attn: The Hon Bill Shorten MP
Ref: Trade Mission to Israel
Dear Mr Shorten,
I have recently read an open letter to you from fellow Australian Dr Vacy Vlazna, which I have included with this letter. I write to emphatically support the views expressed in that letter by Dr Vlazna. Your Trade Mission to Israel is an outrageous offence against human decency in general, against our often celebrated and ostensibly shared Australian values in particular and against the pride and, of special concern to me, proud of two grandfathers who (misguided as they were) risked their lives in European wars for noble values, the self-respect of all Australians. The obsequious flattery inherent in the statement of your mission’s objective (to “attempt to understand how is it that Israel-a country of 7.2 million people, a third of the size of Tasmania, sixty per cent desert, only sixty three years old, with limited natural resources-produces more start-ups than large, peaceful and stable nations like Japan, India, Korea, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia.”) reflects either a startling ignorance or a willful blindness to reality and is utterly insulting to anyone who understands the truth.
The state of Israel is, from its very inception, racist and founded on an ideology that flies in the face of the hitherto long-established precedent that Jews and Arabs (and yes, also Christians) can live harmoniously in the Middle East and has become an increasingly pernicious corrosive of that concept. Across the course of the last century it has established and expanded itself through terrorism, violence and, before our very eyes today, theft, persecution and genocide. It has insidiously exploited the Holocaust through the twin edges of fear and sympathy in ways that thinking, principled Jews find insulting and repugnant. In the past decade it has cynically both exploited and been exploited by the United States in what anyone with the least grip on reality can see are not wars for “freedom and democracy” against terrorism but rather, wars of terror for OIL and military and economic strategic advantage.
Dr Vlazna has urged you to see the state of Israel through the lens of human compassion for the suffering of the Palestinian people (whose land, water and other resources are coveted by fanatical Israeli settlers and their no less fanatical Zionist backers). The things that are being done to them - illegally, insidiously, systematically, violently (shocking, inhuman violence), mercilessly, ruthlessly and sometimes openly and flagrantly under the willing blindness of people who rush off to celebrate Israeli “achievements” in obsequious “Trade Missions” - are an obscene and disgusting sore on the face of all the things we cherish as “civilization”.
I write to support Dr Vlazna in this; I share her obvious and passionate commitment to seeing a civilized world founded on compassion, intelligence, morality and justice.
I also suggest that you follow her advice to take the REAL tour of Israel’s achievements in Palestine, even though I suspect there was a tongue-in-cheek, perhaps even sarcastic tone to it, because at least then you would come to discover how quickly and roughly your “Trade Mission” concludes in tears at the airport with your deportation papers in hand and an hostile armed guard at your flanks ready to bruise your buttocks as you board your ignominious Qantas flight back home. However, while I will not speak for Dr Vlazna, I suspect that it is fear of such experiences that is at least one half of the sentiment that underpins and defines your politics. Nevertheless, it is clear that Dr Vlazna suspects, as I do, that the other half, the one that compels you to obsequious groveling to wealth and influence, is that your “political ambition trumps international law, justice and compassion”.
I am more firmly and openly committed to this latter view. For me it is clearly impossible that anyone could fail to recognize that Israel’s “achievements” – its nuclear arsenal, it’s massively well-equipped air force and military, it’s insidious and all-pervasive “intelligence” services, it’s thoroughly artificial economic success and its persistent and genocidal oppression of the Palestinian people in flagrant disregard for international law are entirely due to its strategic importance in the United States’ quest for global domination (and of course, OIL).
As to the artificiality of Israel’s economic success I’m sure you must be intimately familiar with one example unfolding at great cost now and forever to the Australian public on our very own shores, namely that of water by desalination. Clearly, the choice of this approach to providing Australians with abundant fresh water to wash their cars, hose their driveways and water their lawns, over a plethora of more rational, environmentally harmonious, economical, secure and stable approaches (just ask me, I could write you a book-full of options) is not something you would explain in terms of the stupidity and lack of imagination of Australian politicians, or even the Australian public on general? It is by seeing this apparently irrational behavior in terms of the matrix of political intrigue and powerful influences that we understand water desalination as cover for a back-door subsidy to Israel’s “economic success”.
Another preferred domain for Israeli technology and successful start-ups is that of security where, despite having been responsible for all of the “lapses” implicated in enabling “the terrible events of 9/11” the resultant mushrooming growth of the security and surveillance technologies industries that now dominate much of our everyday lives at great cost, have been a boon for Israeli security companies.
If these intrigues and complexities nevertheless obscure the realities of Israel’s “economic success” I’m sure you could not fail to be aware of the annual $3bn in aid granted by the United States, in preference to countries where people are starving and in spite of the lack of health care, education and economic security of most American citizens. Surely, also, you must know of the illegal transfers of nuclear materials and technology from the US that nurtured Israel’s development of its nuclear arsenal, despite its being a non-signatory to the NPT and this arsenal being the single most significant and imminent danger to the human race.
And have you not gleaned that Israel’s access to US military hardware and technology is so free and abundant that it is actually in a position to on-sell this equipment to other countries (for mutually favorable outcomes, of course) such as Turkey and Georgia and even Iran (in happier times)? The names “North” and “Contra” may jog your memory. I’m sure you must know that MOSSAD is so well-favored by the US government that the Australian government is required to allow them continued access to Australian Passports for use in undercover operations such as political assassinations and the execution of foreign scientists. This, in turn, is easily understood in a country that invites another country to install an occupying force on their territory despite their pride in the “status and prestige” of their own military forces.
With all of these considerations that make mockery of the ostensible reasons for your Trade Mission, Honourable Mr Shorten, MP I am left with the considerations for compassion, intelligence, morality and justice that trouble me deeply about your visit.
My grandfathers both went off to Europe imbued with a misguided faith in their governments to risk their lives for values involving compassion, intelligence, morality and justice. They came home broken men unable to serve as proper fathers for their sons and daughters and it has taken two generations to recover the elements of humanity they lost in my family. Perhaps this is why I revere them to the point of angry disparagement of those who treat them lightly. As a young man I also was foolishly willing to go off to kill people at my government’s direction for essentially these same reasons my grandfathers did. It was through this brush with a misguided, catastrophic error that I gained my greatest insight to the workings of the minds of people like you - Honourable Mr Shorten, MP and the insidious harm they do, not only in their day, but for generations to come, like the vast and perilous American debt, the bitter and justified contempt that a whole civilization has for ours and may retain for a thousand years and those hundreds of thousands of young American and Australian men who will find in their maturing years a shame in their souls that they may find impossible to live with.
In the immediate matter at hand, I feel a deep and bitter anger for the harm it does that in your odious groveling to the racist, criminal rogue state of Israel, you grant them the cover of the now tattered rags of Australian respectability and esteemed values and mask the outrageous injustice done to the Palestinian people.
Allen L. Jasson
Dear Minister Shorten
With regard to your upcoming Trade Mission to Israel, as Israeli businesses linked to maintaining the occupation of Palestine (illegal under international law) have subsidiaries in Australia such as Elbit Australia, Rafael Australia, Strauss Group, Investec etc as well as US arms subsidiaries in Israel eg Raytheon Australia and Thales Australia. you could use instead that time spent meeting them in Israel to-
- spend a day in Gaza while it is being bombarded by contributions by the aforementioned businesses and experience first hand their product success.
- as well as visit the mother of Ayoub Asalya who is still picking up fragments of her 12 year old son's body after he was hit by an Israeli surgical precision missile on 18-3-12
- and while there visit a Gazan hospital that is desperately trying to tend patients, including premature babies and dialysis patients, with little electricity and medicines
- and in your role as Minister for Employment meet with the hundreds of thousands of desperate unemployed Gazans (50% of Gaza) struggling to survive under Israel's illegal blockade
- spend a day in Silwan, East Jerusalem with a Palestinian family while it is being illegally evicted for the glorious judaisation of Jerusalem funded by the said businesses and Zionist Australians
- go to Nablus to see how Israeli economic policy works in Shuhada Street that is closed and empty of Palestinian businesses owned by now impoverished families
- go to Hebron and accompany Palestinian children as they run the daily gamut to school of colonist verbal and stonethrowing harassment as well as ducking faeces and urine thrown by illegal colonists who are the pride of Israel and supported financially by Australian Zionist Jews
- pass through Israeli checkpoints from Bethlehem to Jerusalem alongside Palestinians and experience the humiliation and delays in the heat of the day
- visit a Palestinian school and watch as the heroic Israeli military burst in and kidnap 11 year old kids who won't see their parents for a month under administrative detention
- and why not take your delegates to visit 30 year old Hana Shalabi who is dying for her principled hunger-strike stand for freedom and justice after she was released and rearrested after the honorable Shalit prisoner deal still with no charge or trial. Hana wants to study nursing.
- perhaps a tour of Palestinian farms that have had their orchards uprooted for the illegal Annexation Wall and illegal colonies that spread like cancer across stolen Palestinian lands and lost livelihoods.
Israel, the only democratic, peace-loving, dovish and non-nuclear country in the Middle East, has so much reality to enlighten you and your delegation.
When on your return, it is business as usual with Israel then we will know that your political ambition trumps international law, justice and compassion.
Dr Vacy Vlazna
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Palestinian killed and hundreds injured in West Bank
- #Russia accused of striking civilian targets in #Syria
- #Israel limits Palestinian access to Jerusalem Old City
- Netanyahu warns of punitive measures as tensions rise
- #Myanmar president sued in US over Rohingya abuse
- #NATO warns #Russia after jet strays into #Turkey
Hundreds of New Species Found in Eastern Himalayas Share Link: New wildlife report has...
US general: Afghan #MSF hospital strike was a mistake Share Link: US general says air strike...
Hollande condemns 'unacceptable' Air France violence Share Link: French president says attack...