Wednesday, February 21, 2018
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Libyan commander wanted by ICC hands himself in

Mahmoud al-Werfalli is sought by the International Criminal Court over alleged summary execution of dozens of people.

Mahmoud al-Werfalli

A Libyan commander, sought by the International Criminal Court (ICC) over the alleged summary execution of dozens of people, has handed himself in to a military command in eastern Libya.

Al-Werfalli is a member of an elite unit of the Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Haftar, the dominant force in eastern Libya.

The LNA prevailed late in 2017 in a three-year military campaign against its rivals for control of Benghazi.

Al-Werfalli is wanted by the ICC for his alleged direct participation in seven incidents in which 33 people were killed during the closing stages of the campaign.

The ICC issued an arrest warrant for al-Werfalli last August. The same month, the LNA said it had detained al-Werfalli and was investigating him, but the ICC said it had received subsequent reports that al-Werfalli was at large and involved in additional killings.

Last month, the United Nations called for al-Werfalli to be handed over to the ICC immediately after images surfaced appearing to show him fatally shooting 10 people in front of a mosque in Benghazi hit by a twin car bombing the previous day.

A video was posted on social media late on Tuesday showing a man resembling al-Werfalli sitting on a sofa in military uniform at an undisclosed location, saying he would hand himself over to military police at LNA headquarters in the eastern town of Marj.

He said he was responding to an order from the LNA general command that he should be detained and investigated.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Mozambique dump collapse: 17 dead, ...

Read More

Sudan releases activists arrested o...

Read More

Nigerian court releases 475 Boko Ha...

Read More

Ethiopia's state of emergency to la...

Read More

Nigeria: Boko Haram blamed as suici...

Read More

'New dawn': Ramaphosa outlines visi...

Read More

Global_News

British charity has received more than two dozen new sexual misconduct allegations since the Haiti scandal broke out.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

From snowfall to sunshine

Palestinians hold 'day of rage'