Monday, September 22, 2014
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

US names soldier accused of killing Afghans

Share Link: Share Link: Bookmark Google Yahoo MyWeb Del.icio.us Digg Facebook Myspace Reddit Ma.gnolia Technorati Stumble Upon Newsvine

Bales had previously been deployed and injured in IraqA US official has named the American soldier who is accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians in Kandahar province earlier this week as Staff Sergeant Robert Bales.

Officials had previously said the suspect was a 38-year-old staff sergeant and that he had spent 11 years in the army. But they had refused to release his name, saying it is military policy to publicly name a suspect only after he has been charged with an offense.

Bales has not yet been charged. He was being flown on Friday from Kuwait to a military detention centre at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.

"I would assume he'll be charged pretty fast," said Jeffrey Lustick, a defence attorney in Washington.

The sergeant allegedly entered three homes in two villages and killed eleven people in one single household. Nine of those killed were children. Three were women.

The suspect's lawyer, John Henry Browne, stressed to US media that his client had been upset by a serious injury sustained by a comrade the day before the massacre, but held no animosity toward Muslims. Browne also said that when his client heard he was being sent to Afghanistan late last year, he did not want to go.

The sergeant's family said they had seen no signs of aggression or anger.

"They were totally shocked," by accounts of the massacre, Browne said. "He's never said anything antagonistic about Muslims. He's in general very mild-mannered."

Bales is married, with two young children.

A senior US defence official said the suspect was drinking alcohol in the hours before the attack on villagers, violating a US military order banning alcohol in war zones.

'Want only punishment'

Hamid Karzai, the Afghan president, complained earlier on Friday that the US military did not co-operate with the Afghan team dispatched to investigate the massacre.

"The Afghan government didn't receive co-operation from the USA regarding the surrender of the US soldiers to the Afghan government," Karzai said as he met distraught families of victims as well as tribal elders.

The leader of the delegation investigation the massacre said he wanted to ask the soldier whether he acted alone, or was part of a team, as has repeatedly been claimed by tribal elders who believe that a single gunman could not have killed so many people and in different places some distance apart..

“They killed so many of our loved ones, and do you have an answer why?” one elder asked Karzai.

The president said he did not.

"I don't want any compensation. I don't want money, I don't want a trip to Hajj [pilgrimage], I don't want a house. I want nothing but the punishment of the Americans. This is my demand, my demand, my demand and my demand," another elder said.

The leaders insisted the soldier met no resistance because villagers are used to frequent night raids, as reported earlier.

"They bring our own Afghan soldiers to secure them as they break down our doors like animals. If you resist, they will shoot you. And if you don’t resist, they will put a hood over your head and take you to Bagram,” another elder said.

Afghan leaders have demanded the shooting suspect face a public trial in Afghanistan over the killings.

'End of the rope'

Karzai once again reiterated that he would hold the US accountable and make sure the soldier is brought to justice.

“This has been going on for too long. This is by all means the end of the rope here,'' Karzai told reporters. “This form of activity, this behaviour, cannot be tolerated. It's past, past, past the time.'

He said he will relay the leaders' concern that more than one soldier was involved in the massacre, and he will make sure the allegation is investigated.

Karzai met the elders a day after he demanded foreign forces pull back from Afghan villages. He also called for the full transfer of security responsibility to Afghan forces be completed one year ahead of the announced schedule in 2013.

Karzai said US President Barack Obama called him after the announcement.

“Yesterday, I said clearly that the Americans should leave our villages,'' Karzai said. "This morning, Obama called regarding this issue. He asked, 'Did you announce this?' I said, 'Yes, I announced it'."

Karzai added: “I insist on this issue. The fight is not in the villages, not in the houses of Afghanistan.''

Obama agreed to resolve Karzai's concerns over night raids as the two said they would discuss complaints about NATO troops in villages.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Make a donation to MWC News

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?
Register Register

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page