Monday, April 22, 2019
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

US Centcom's Twitter page hacked

Suspected pro-ISIL hackers fill site with threats saying "American soldiers, we are coming, watch your back".

CyberCaliphate

The Twitter site of the US military's Central Command has been compromised by hackers claiming to be working on behalf of fighters of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

Hackers filled the CENTCOM social media site on Monday with threats that said "American soldiers, we are coming, watch your back".

"In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful, the CyberCaliphate continues its CyberJihad," the Centcom Twitter feed said after being hacked.  

Other postings appeared to list names and phone numbers of military personnel as well as PowerPoint slides and maps.

"We can confirm that the CENTCOM Twitter and YouTube accounts were compromised earlier today. We are taking appropriate measures to address the matter," Central Command said in a statement.

The White House said it was monitoring the extent of the hacking incident.

President Barack Obama is preparing to outline new proposals to protect the United States from cybersecurity threats.

After the hacking, the heading of the Central Command Twitter account showed a figure in a black-and-white headscarf and the words "CyberCaliphate" and "I love you ISIS," using an acronym for the Islamic State group.

Central Command's YouTube account featured videos posted by the US military of air strikes on ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq. It apparently was hacked to add two videos titled "Flames of War ISIS Video" and "O Soldiers of Truth Go Forth".

Central Command is based at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida and handles US military operations covering the Middle East and Central Asia. Central Command oversaw the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and is managing the US air strikes against ISIL positions in Iraq and Syria. 

The attack comes on the heels of accusations by the US that North Korea launched a cyberattack against Sony Pictures Entertainment in November.

The head of the FBI, James Comey, said last week he was confident Pyongyang carried out the attack, although North Korea has denied the accusations and called for a joint probe with Washington.

The US has imposed sanctions against three North Korean organisations and 10 individuals over the cyberattack.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Wildfires deadliest on record in Ca...

Read More

California wildfires death toll at ...

Read More

California wildfires: Death toll ri...

Read More

Raging California wildfires kill 9,...

Read More

Brazil landslide: At least 10 dead ...

Read More

Florida orders recount in contentio...

Read More

Most Read Articles

Most Read News

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Israel pounds Gaza

India's Kerala state devastated

Capturing life under apartheid