Sunday, September 24, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Mistrial declared in Bill Cosby sexual assault case

Prosecutors pledge to retry celebrity, known as America's Dad, over charges he drugged and molested a woman in 2004.

Bill Cosby

A US judge has declared a mistrial in the sexual-assault case of comedian and celebrity Bill Cosby after a jury said it was deadlocked following more than 52 hours of deliberations.

Cosby had been charged with three counts of sexual assault over allegations he drugged and molested Andrea Constand in 2004 at his home in Pennsylvania.

Prosecutors pledged to put Cosby on trial for a second time, saying Constand was "entitled to a verdict".

Andrew Wyatt, Cosby's spokesperson, said that the trial's outcome had "restored" his client's legacy.


READ MORE: US TV networks drop Bill Cosby programmes


But the reputation of Cosby, known as America's Dad for his role on the television series, The Cosby Show, remains in tatters after a slew of sexual assault allegations from about 60 women.

Several of those women attended the trial and wore buttons that read "We Stand in Truth".

Victoria Valentino, a former model who has accused Cosby of drugging and raping her decades ago, had a message for the celebrity.

"You're not off the hook, buddy," she said outside the courtroom.

Cosby has denied all of the women's claims, saying that any sexual encounters were consensual.

The case involving Constand followed a long path to prosecution.

In 2005, prosecutors declined to charge Cosby based on Constand's account that the celebrity offered her unidentified pills that left her unable to stop his advances.

She filed a lawsuit that Cosby settled for an undisclosed sum.

Cosby's depositions in that case, however, were unsealed by a federal judge in 2015, revealing his admissions that he had given sedatives to young women in the 1970s.

This prompted prosecutors to reopen the case.

Cosby was eventually charged in December 2015, just days before the statute of limitations was set to expire.

He still faces several civil lawsuits from at least 10 accusers across the US.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

'Trump looking to loosen Obama limi...

Read More

Trudeau tells UN Canada has failed ...

Read More

Trump signs new order to expand Nor...

Read More

Hurricane Maria leaves at least 15 ...

Read More

Hurricane Maria kills 32 as it lash...

Read More

Mexico quake rescuers race to free ...

Read More

Global_News

Pentagon says the flight was aimed at demonstrating Washington's military options available to 'defeat any threat'.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

Heavy rains paralyse India

Journey of Rohingya refugees