A diplomatic row has erupted between India and Italy after two Indian fisherman were shot dead in a confrontation between an Italian oil tanker and their fishing boat in waters off the sourthern Indian coast.
Indian police have detained the entire crew, including Italian navy officers, over the killings, while Italy's ambassador in New Delhi was summoned to the foreign office.
An Indian coast guard official said the naval guards aboard the Enrica Lexie appeared to have mistaken the fishermen for pirates.
"I think they have erred in their judgment. Innocent fisherman should not be fired at, even anywhere, there is no doubt," said Surinder Pal Singh Basra, inspector general of India's coast guard.
Basra said the Italian vessel violated international protocol by not sending any distress signal, which is considered standard procedure during pirate attacks.
He said the incident had occurred on Wednesday in waters off India's southern state of Kerala, and said Indian coast guards had done their duty by bringing the Italian ship to port and detaining its captain and crew.
A murder case has been registered against the crew, said a senior official at a police station in Neendakara Coastal police station, where surviving fishermen sought help.
A foreign ministry official said Italy's ambassador was asked to ensure the crew of the ship co-operated with Indian authorities.
The Italian navy in a statement said on Thursday that the fishing boat had behaved aggressively and had been warned on several occasions by the naval officers aboard the tanker.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Fight for Mosul rages as Iraqi forces push on
- Al-Shabab attack on Somali city leaves several dead
- Syria's war: Lausanne meeting fails to break deadlock
- Yemen conflict: UN announces 72-hour ceasefire
- Trump refuses to say he will accept election result
- Erdogan: We have a historical responsibility in Iraq
- India: 22 killed in Bhubaneswar hospital fire
- Stampede kills dozens of Hindu pilgrims in India
- Indian army kills 2 gunmen ending Kashmir standoff
- Gun battle rages at government compound in Kashmir
- Anti-India protests erupt in Kashmir after boy killed
- Kashmir: Rebels killed in attack on India army base
Who Is Your Choice for President?