A diplomatic row has erupted between India and Italy after two Indian fisherman were shot dead in a confrontation between an Italian oil tanker and their fishing boat in waters off the sourthern Indian coast.
Indian police have detained the entire crew, including Italian navy officers, over the killings, while Italy's ambassador in New Delhi was summoned to the foreign office.
An Indian coast guard official said the naval guards aboard the Enrica Lexie appeared to have mistaken the fishermen for pirates.
"I think they have erred in their judgment. Innocent fisherman should not be fired at, even anywhere, there is no doubt," said Surinder Pal Singh Basra, inspector general of India's coast guard.
Basra said the Italian vessel violated international protocol by not sending any distress signal, which is considered standard procedure during pirate attacks.
He said the incident had occurred on Wednesday in waters off India's southern state of Kerala, and said Indian coast guards had done their duty by bringing the Italian ship to port and detaining its captain and crew.
A murder case has been registered against the crew, said a senior official at a police station in Neendakara Coastal police station, where surviving fishermen sought help.
A foreign ministry official said Italy's ambassador was asked to ensure the crew of the ship co-operated with Indian authorities.
The Italian navy in a statement said on Thursday that the fishing boat had behaved aggressively and had been warned on several occasions by the naval officers aboard the tanker.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- US election: Democrats' leaked emails cause DNC crisis
- Democrats nominate Hillary Clinton for US presidency
- Germany: Ansbach bomber 'pledged allegiance to ISIL'
- France: Priest killed in ISIL-linked attack on church
- Syria's civil war: Air raids kill civilians in Aleppo
- Syria civil war: Air strikes hit Aleppo hospitals
- Indian parliament passes contentious child labour bill
- India: Search continues for plane in Bay of Bengal
- Refugee boat found with 22 dead bodies off Libya coast
- Maoist rebels kill 10 paramilitary soldiers in India
- India shuts down Kashmir newspapers amid unrest
- Kashmir violence: Indian troops clash with protesters
|Liaquat Ali Khan|