Explosions blamed for fire that trapped scores of workers in dismantled oil tanker in ship-breaking yard in Balochistan.
The death toll in a fire at a ship demolition yard in southern Pakistan has risen to 18, after more bodies were retrieved overnight, according to officials.
More than 50 labourers with burn injuries were being treated at hospitals after an explosion caused the fire on a ship in the Ghadani Ship Breaking Yard in the town of Hub, Jahffar Khan, local police chief, said on Wednesday.
He said the fire, which broke out at 10am local time (05:00 GMT) on Tuesday, was so intense that dozens of firefighters are still trying to put it out.
The casualty figure is expected to rise, Khan said.
The fire started in a dismantled oil tanker that was stationed in the yard, according to local media reports.
Several explosions occurred inside the oil tanker while the workers were performing gas-welding work.
Ghadani, in the southwestern Pakistani province of Balochistan, is the country's largest centre for ship demolition.
Thousands of labourers work in the Pakistani ship-breaking industry under poor conditions and with low safety standards.
They are often the victim of deadly accidents.
The Ghadani ship-breaking industry has fallen on hard times recently and employs about 9,000 workers, fewer than in its boom years at the end of the last decade.
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Social media mocks Trump for making up Sweden attack
- French police search Marine Le Pen's party headquarters
- UN decries Israel's West Bank demolition order
- Amnesty: Toxic fear mongering pushing back human rights
- Ukraine accuses pro-Russia rebels of breaking truce
- Iraqi forces push into ISIL-held southern Mosul
- Explosions rock district courts in Charsadda
- Chaos follows Pakistan-Afghanistan border closure
- Afghan snowstorms death toll jumps
- Pakistan mourns attack victims as security stepped up
- Army kills '100 terrorists' after Sehwan shrine blast
- Militants put half-hearted Pakistani counter-terrorism at crossroads
|Liaquat Ali Khan|