Thursday, April 26, 2018
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Deadly blast hits Afghanistan's Herat province

Children among casualties as explosive-laden vehicle detonates near mosque in Shindand district in Herat province.

Herat province

At least eight people, including children, have been killed, and several others wounded in a bomb blast in Afghanistan's western province of Herat, according to a government official. 

Explosives planted in a three-wheeled vehicle detonated late afternoon on Monday near a mosque in the Shindand district, Jillani Farhad, Herat governor's spokesman, said.

According to Farhad, the explosion took place at a busy market in the district. 

The provincial ambulance services head told Pajhwok news agency that 17 people had been injured in the blast.

Images circulating on social media showed the debris and damage in the aftermath of the explosion. 

The Afghan Taliban denied via Twitter involvement in Monday's attack.

Herat, one of Afghanistan’s largest provinces, is located in the southwest of the country, sharing a crucial border with Iran.

Monday's explosion comes after at least one person was killed and seven others wounded in an explosion outside a Shia mosque in Herat city last month. 

The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) group claimed responsibility for that attack.

Last week, dozens of civilians, including children, were killed in an Afghan air attack on a gathering at a religious school in the Northern Province of Kunduz, according to reports.

Afghanistan's air force, backed by US-led NATO coalition advisers, has accelerated aerial raids in the country in recent months to push the Taliban to the negotiating table.

However, civilians have reportedly been killed in several incidents.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Fire at oil well in Indonesia's Ace...

Read More

High-profile guru Asaram Bapu sente...

Read More

Afghanistan: 63 dead in attacks on ...

Read More

India's cabinet adopts death penalt...

Read More

Pre-monsoon heat builds across nort...

Read More

India court rejects pleas for probe...

Read More

Global_News

Qatar's flag carrier lost access to 18 cities in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt and Bahrain due to blockade imposed last year.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

One year under Trump

Gun violence in US