One man has been killed and another seriously injured when a man brandishing a baseball bat entered a mosque in the town of Arras in northern France and started beating worshipers, a police source has said.
The attacker, who was identified as a 32-year-old French man of Moroccan origin, was held after the incident on Friday, and was described by police sources as having a history of psychiatric problems.
Denis Robin, the Pas-de-Calais prosecutor, said the attacker was a member of the Muslim community in Arras, and known to the other worshippers in the mosque.
Two other people were slightly injured in the attack, the police source said
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Syria: '100,000 trapped' near Turkey as ISIL advances
- Avi Gabbay quits Israeli government in protest
- Anti-Islam protest descends into violence in Australia
- Rodrigo Duterte officially wins Philippines presidency
- Iraqis fleeing ISIL-held Mosul seek refuge in Syria
- Armed group blows up major pipeline in Nigeria
- Mayotte: Hundreds evicted in anti-refugee unrest
- Paris police make arrests after clashes with protesters
- Fresh strikes in France as nuclear workers join protest
- France on strike: Refineries blockaded by protesters
- Netanyahu renews rejection of French peace initiative
- France: Smoke detected on EgyptAir flight before crash
|William John Cox|