One man has been killed and another seriously injured when a man brandishing a baseball bat entered a mosque in the town of Arras in northern France and started beating worshipers, a police source has said.
The attacker, who was identified as a 32-year-old French man of Moroccan origin, was held after the incident on Friday, and was described by police sources as having a history of psychiatric problems.
Denis Robin, the Pas-de-Calais prosecutor, said the attacker was a member of the Muslim community in Arras, and known to the other worshippers in the mosque.
Two other people were slightly injured in the attack, the police source said
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Australian released by al-Qaeda says husband is alive
- Zimbabwe pleads for cash to stop mass starvation
- Nigerian refugee camp hit by twin suicide bombers
- Iraq army enters last ISIL stronghold in Ramadi
- Netanyahu seeks to suspend Palestinian politicians
- 58,000 children 'facing death' in drought-hit Somalia
- France to recognise Palestine if talks fail
- French justice minister quits after defying terror bill
- Flights cancelled as French protests turn violent
- New ISIL video purports to show Paris attackers
- Morocco holds Belgian citizen 'linked to Paris attacks'
- Syrian refugee wins a million euros in French lottery