One man has been killed and another seriously injured when a man brandishing a baseball bat entered a mosque in the town of Arras in northern France and started beating worshipers, a police source has said.
The attacker, who was identified as a 32-year-old French man of Moroccan origin, was held after the incident on Friday, and was described by police sources as having a history of psychiatric problems.
Denis Robin, the Pas-de-Calais prosecutor, said the attacker was a member of the Muslim community in Arras, and known to the other worshippers in the mosque.
Two other people were slightly injured in the attack, the police source said
|< Prev||Next >|
Most Read News
- Israel kills Palestinian woman in occupied West Bank
- South African court blocks Jacob Zuma corruption appeal
- Pope Francis calls on Armenia and Turkey to reconcile
- Germany's Merkel urges caution in UK's exit from EU
- Brexit worse on GBP than 2008 financial crisis
- First vessel passes through expanded Panama Canal
- France charges Rifaat al-Assad with corruption
- EgyptAir MS804 crash: Flight data recorder 'repaired'
- Dutch, French far-right parties call for EU referenda
- Syria: Presence of foreign troops is overt aggression
- Killer of French police couple 'acted on ISIL message'
- Euro 2016: Russia summons French envoy over fan arrests
|William John Cox|