A suicide bomber has killed nine people and injured dozens in the Syrian capital, Damascus, according to state media.
The developments on Friday came a day after Ban Ki-moon, the UN secretary-general, said the Syrian government was "in contravention" of an internationally agreed peace plan by keeping troops and heavy weapons in cities.
The SANA news agency said the victims of Friday's blast in al-Midan district included civilians and law enforcement personnel.
Opposition activists said the blast struck worshipers at the Zain al-Abideen mosque, which was under heavy security for Friday prayers, where regular protests against President Bashar al-Assad have been held in the last year.
Syrian TV aired footage of white smoke billowing from under a bridge as people streamed out of a mosque. The streets were stained with blood. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
A resident who spoke to security officials at the scene told the Reuters news agency that a man had approached soldiers near the mosque and detonated a bomb belt when challenged.
In January, an explosion in the same neighborhood killed at least 26 people, according to state media.
Earlier in the day, a loud blast was heard in the capital's al-Sinaa district near a garage used by government buses and shabiha, pro-Assad militiamen tasked with preventing demonstrations.
'Action picking up'
Central Damascus has so far been spared much of the violence since the uprising began in March last year. But on Wednesday, a bomb went off in the Marjeh neighbourhood in the centre of the capital.
"The action is picking up and it seems the [opposition fighters] and Assad's forces are starting to battle it out in Damascus as well," Mar Ram, an activist in al-Midan, told Reuters.
The government blames armed groups for the recent blasts, but some opposition leaders accuse the government of carrying out the attacks as a way to tarnish the uprising.
On Friday, activists reported that large protests were held in the northern city of Aleppo and many towns and villages, including in the central region of Hama and the northern province of Idlib.
Assad's government has agreed a troop withdrawal from cities as part of a six-point peace plan for Syria agreed with Kofi Annan, UN-Arab League envoy.
The truce, which officially started on April 12 but has been violated by both government forces and opposition fighters, is to be monitored by 300 UN observers due to arrive in Syria in coming weeks.
A small advance team is already on the ground.
Ban "remains deeply troubled by the continued presence of heavy weapons, military equipment and army personnel in population centres, as reported by United Nations Military Observers", a UN statement said.
|< Prev||Next >|
Other articles in Middle East
Bahrain Shias protest against government 22 March 2014
Clashes erupt in Syria's Assad home province 22 March 2014
Palestinians killed in West Bank clashes 22 March 2014
Morsi supporters mass trial adjourned 22 March 2014
Morsi supporters face mass trial in Egypt 22 March 2014
Gun battles flare in Lebanon's Tripoli 21 March 2014
Iraqis drop unlawful death claims against UK 21 March 2014
Syrian army captures famed Crusader castle 21 March 2014
Syria tops the world as source of refugees 21 March 2014
Lebanon MPs back cabinet to end deadlock 21 March 2014