Israel's Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by two Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike in protest at being held without charge.
But in its decision, released by the justice ministry on Monday, the court said security authorities should consider freeing them for medical reasons.
The two prisoners, Bilal Diab, 27, and Thaer Halahleh, 34, have been on hunger strike for the past 70 days.
"The Supreme Court refused both appeals," Jamil Khatib, their lawyer, told the AFP news agency on Monday of the prisoners' appeals against their administrative detention.
"Israeli courts do not handle administrative detention in a positive way. It shows that the intelligence services have the final word.
"They will continue their strike till the end," Khatib said.
A ruling on the appeals was postponed after being lodged at Israel's highest court last Thursday, WAFA, the Palestinian News and Information Agency reported last week.
The two men are among hundreds of Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike to demand better conditions and an end to detention without trial in one of the biggest prison protests in years.
Ten Palestinian prisoners participating in the mass hunger strike were placed under medical supervision on Saturday as their conditions worsened, a spokeswoman for Israel's prison service previously said.
At least 1,550 are taking part, although activists have said the figure is as high as 2,500 out of 4,600 Palestinians held in Israeli prisons.
Most of those participating began refusing food 19 days ago, but a smaller core have been striking for periods ranging from 40 to almost 70 days.
Diab was moved to a civilian hospital last week. An independent doctor with Physicians for Human Rights-Israel (PHR-I) said then that he was at immediate risk of death.
Both Diab and Halahleh, were suffering "acute muscle weakness" which prevented them from standing, Addameer, a Palestinian prisoner rights group, said via PHR-I.
Halahleh was arrested on June 28, 2010 and has been held in administrative detention ever since, while Diab has been held since August 17, 2011.
On Friday, a Hamas leader warned Israel of consequences if any of the Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike die in jail.
"You must realise that the hunger strike isn't a party, and we could be surprised by the death of some of them," Khalil al-Haya said in Gaza City. "If that happens, you can expect both the expected and the unexpected from us."
Administrative detention is an antiquated procedure that allows suspects to be held without charge for periods of up to six months, which are renewable indefinitely.
Israeli officials say they use the procedure to hold Palestinians who pose an immediate threat to the country's security.
|< Prev||Next >|
Other articles in Middle East
Two more towns fall to armed fighters in #Iraq 13 June 2014
#Egypt extends AJ journalist's imprisonment 13 June 2014
Obama warns of US action against #ISIL in #Iraq 13 June 2014
#Iraq cleric issues call to arms against #ISIL 13 June 2014
#Israel searches for 'kidnapped' students 13 June 2014
#Egypt court acquits Mubarak-era minister 12 June 2014
#Iran vows to combat 'terrorism' in #Iraq 12 June 2014
Iraq's Maliki 'appealed for US air strikes' 12 June 2014
#ISIL vows to march on Iraq's capital 12 June 2014
Assad says West shifting position on #Syria 12 June 2014
|Timothy V. Gatto|
|William A. Cook|