Syrian government forces have renewed their assault on the commercial capital of Aleppo, where anti-government activists say helicopter gunships have opened fire on civilians and that the army has massed troops on the city's borders.
In addition to Aleppo, fresh fighting was also reported on Friday in Idlib and Deraa, activists and an opposition rights watchdog said.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's forces renewed their ground and aerial bombardment of Aleppo on Friday, extending efforts to crush rebels in Syria's commercial capital, rights groups said.
According to Free Syrian Army spokesman Colonel Abdel Jabbar al-Okaidi, some 100 tanks and a large number of military vehicles had arrived outside Aleppo.
Troops stationed on the outskirts of the city unleashed barrages of heavy-calibre mortar rounds on the western neighbourhoods of Saladin, al-Sukkari and al-Fardos, while Russian MI-25 helicopter gunships struck al-Sakhour in the east with rockets, several opposition activists in the city said.
Rebel fighters targeted army roadblocks and security installations, with both sides avoiding close-quarters warfare in the city of 2.5 million people, Syria's biggest urban centre.
Thirty-four people were killed in Aleppo and its environs on Thursday, according to opposition activists keeping a tally of casualties in the northern city.
However, we could not verify the casualty figure from independent sources owing to media restrictions by the Assad government.
On Friday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), a UK-based anti-government rights watchdog, reported that several towns in southern Deraa province had been bombarded, killing at least four people. It also reported that government troops were engaged in violent clashes with armed opposition forces in Idlib province bordering Turkey.
Meanwhile, Samih Maayatah, the Jordanian information minister, confirmed that a child had been killed when Syrian security forces opened fire on a group of refugees fleeing to his country in a border area close to Deraa.
US fears 'massacre'
The US State Department said on Thursday that credible reports of tank columns moving on Aleppo along with air strikes by helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft represented a serious escalation of the government's efforts to crush the armed rebellion.
"This is the concern: that we will see a massacre in Aleppo and that's what the regime appears to be lining up for," State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.
Nuland said that despite US concern over the violence, the Obama administration did not contemplate ending its self-imposed ban on direct military help.
"We do not believe that pouring more fuel on the fire is going to save lives," Nuland said. "The route out of this is not more violence ... the route out of this is an end to the violence and a beginning to a true political transition process."
Nuland dismissed comparisons between Aleppo and the Libyan city of Benghazi, the cradle of the uprising against Muammar Gaddafi, where warnings of a threatened massacre by Libyan government forces in March 2011 prompted the UN Security Council to authorise military action to protect civilians.
"There are a vast number of differences," Nuland said, citing lack of a UN mandate, more difficult terrain and the absence of a direct call for help by a unified opposition.
Navi Pillay, the UN human rights chief, meanwhile has urged both the government and the armed opposition to protect civilians and respect intarnational human rights and humanitarian law, "or face the consequences", according to a statement.
On Friday, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) announced that it was temporarily relocating some of its foreign staff from Damascus to Lebanon, and was partially suspending operations in Aleppo, due to security concerns.
The heavy fighting around Aleppo and the capital Damascus mark a new phase of the violence that has gripped Syria since protests broke out some 16 months ago. It comes after a bomb attack that killed four of Assad's closest lieutenants in Damascus last week that led some analysts to speculate that the government's grip was failing.
Meanwhile, in a set back to Assad government, Ikhlas Badawi, a parliamentarian, became the latest to announce that she had "defected" to Turkey.
Samir Nashhar, a member of the opposition Syrian National Council, told the AFP news agency that Badawi arrived in Turkey on Thursday, and will now head to Qatar, "which has agreed to receive her".
One of the most senior figures to defect from Assad's inner circle, Brigadier General Manaf Tlas, put himself forward on Thursday as someone who could help unify the opposition inside and outside Syria on a plan for a transfer of power.
Tlas, speaking in a newspaper interview in the Saudi city of Jeddah, also said he was looking for support from Saudi Arabia and other powers.
|< Prev||Next >|
Other articles in Middle East
Two more towns fall to armed fighters in #Iraq 13 June 2014
#Egypt extends AJ journalist's imprisonment 13 June 2014
Obama warns of US action against #ISIL in #Iraq 13 June 2014
#Iraq cleric issues call to arms against #ISIL 13 June 2014
#Israel searches for 'kidnapped' students 13 June 2014
#Egypt court acquits Mubarak-era minister 12 June 2014
#Iran vows to combat 'terrorism' in #Iraq 12 June 2014
Iraq's Maliki 'appealed for US air strikes' 12 June 2014
#ISIL vows to march on Iraq's capital 12 June 2014
Assad says West shifting position on #Syria 12 June 2014
|Denis G. Rancourt|