Sunday, March 25, 2018
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Saudi coalition strikes on Saada market kill dozens

At least 25 killed after two air raids hit al-Mashnaq market in Shada district in northwestern Yemen, an official says.


At least 25 Yemeni civilians have been killed by Saudi-led coalition air strike on a market in the northern Saada province, according to a local health official.

The director of the Houthi-run health department office in Saada said the aircraft conducted two raids on al-Mashnaq market in Shada district close to the Saudi border on Saturday.

"Rescue teams were unable to reach the area for some time for fear of being hit by artillery shelling of the area," the official, Dr Abdelilah al-Azzi, told Reuters news agency by telephone on Sunday.

Several Yemeni online news outlets carried similar reports of the bombing in Saada, which sits directly along the Saudi border.

Officials from the Saudi-led coalition could not immediately be reached for a comment on the report.

A Saudi-led coalition has been carrying out air strikes in the impoverished country for more than two years against Houthi rebels, who control vast swathes of the country.

The country has since been plunged into a civil war in which the exiled government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, backed by the Saudi-led coalition, is trying to roll back gains made by the Iran-aligned Houthi group that controls most of northern Yemen, including the capital Sanaa.

In March, a Saudi-led coalition air strike killed 22 people and wounded dozens when it struck a market in western Yemen near the Red Sea fishing town of Khoukha.


Khoukha and the nearby city of Hodeidah are controlled by the Houthis who overran Sanaa in 2014 and moved south to Aden in 2015 forcing Hadi and his administration to flee into exile. Saudi-led coalition wrested back the control of Aden last year.

The Yemen war has killed more than 10,000 people, displaced more than three million and ruined much of the impoverished country's infrastructure.

The Saudi-led coalition was formed in 2015 to fight the Houthis and troops loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

In December, the coalition acknowledged it had made "limited use" of British-made cluster bombs, but said it had stopped using them.

In March, the UN World Food Programme said that nearly half of Yemen's 22 provinces were on the verge of famine.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Syria: Second evacuation deal reach...

Read More

Khashoggi: Saudi Arabia can never b...

Read More

US approves proposed $1bn arms sale...

Read More

Report: Western states aided Egypt'...

Read More

UAE-backed militia deports Yemenis ...

Read More

Hamas: Rami Hamdallah convoy attack...

Read More


Policeman who swapped himself for a hostage in Friday's attack has died of his wounds, interior minister says.

Read More


Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:



Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

One year under Trump

Gun violence in US