Sunday, December 17, 2017
   
Text Size

Site Search powered by Ajax

Houthis celebrate as Saleh's son calls for revenge

The call comes as the ex-Yemeni president's party confirms Saleh's nephew and senior military commander was also killed.

The son of Yemen's former President Ali Abdullah Saleh has called for revenge against the Houthi rebels who took his father's life. 

"I will lead the battle until the last Houthi is thrown out of Yemen ... the blood of my father will be hell ringing in the ears of Iran," Ahmed Ali Saleh was quoted as saying by Saudi-owned al-Ekhbariya TV on Tuesday.

He called for his father's backers to "take back Yemen from the Iranian Houthi militias".

Saleh was killed in a rocket-propelled grenade and gun attack on his vehicle at a checkpoint outside Sanaa on Monday. The Houthis said that he was targeted for "treason" after he cut ties with the rebels just days earlier and indicated he was open to talks with the Saudi-led coalition, which has been leading the fight against the Houthis since 2015.

The threat came as news surfaced that Tareq Mohammed Abdullah Saleh, the former president's nephew, was also killed during clashes with the Houthi rebels

According to a statement from Saleh's party on Tuesday, reported by Reuters, the senior military commander, whose fate had been unknown, was confirmed dead. 

Tareq Mohammed Abdullah Saleh was expected to lead the military operations against the Houthis, analysts recently said. 

Tense calm

There was a tense calm in Sanaa early on Tuesday, after the Saudi-led coalition launched at least 25 overnight airstrikes on the capital city. 

"People are now emerging from their houses after five days being locked down basically as prisoners," Jamie McGoldrick, the UN's humanitarian coordinator in Yemen, said during a briefing by phone in Sanaa. 

"They are now seeking safety, moving their families in case things erupt again and at the same time seeking medical treatment and trying to pacify very terrified kids who have endured five days of relentless shelling, shooting and ground fire and air strikes." 

Hakim al-Masmari, the editor of the Yemen Post newspaper, said that at least nine civilians were killed and many more injured in the overnight strikes.


READ MORE: Yemen: From civil war to Ali Abdullah Saleh's death


"There's been more than a dozen airstrikes in Sanaa from midnight until the morning. Many houses have been destroyed, especially in the city centre near the presidential palace," Masmari said.

Later in the day, thousands of Houthi supporters rallied in Sannaa, shouting "Sanaa is free and the state still stands!", according to AFP news agency. 


READ MORE: Yemen: Who was Ali Abdullah Saleh?


<

Meanwhile on Tuesday, the Arab League condemned Saleh's killing, branding the Houthis "a terrorist organisation".

"All means must be used to rid the Yemeni people of this nightmare," said Ahmed Abdul Gheit, who heads the pan-Arab bloc.

Late on Monday, Yemen's President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi urged Yemen's to rise up against the Houthi rebels late on Monday. 

Hadi called for a "new page" in the battle against the Houthis in a speech carried live on Saudi Arabia's Al Arabiya TV.

"Let's put our hands together to end the control of these criminal gangs and build a new united Yemen," the leader of Yemen's internationally recognised government said from Riyadh, where he lives in exile. 

Hundreds killed

On Tuesday, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said that at least 234 people had been killed and more than 400 wounded in fighting in Sanaa since the beginning of the month. 

"Our [ICRC Yemen] teams are now doing all they can to supply hospitals with medicines, surgical materials and fuel," Robert Mardini, an ICRC spokesperson, said on Twitter. 

Humanitarian aid organisation Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said it had evacuated patients from a hospital in the northern province of Hajja, which is under Houthi control, after it came under fire from airstrikes on Sunday.

The attack displayed "a deliberate disregard for medical facilities", endangering the lives of patients and medical staff, said Steve Pubrick, MSF's local coordinator.

The war in Yemen, now in its second year, has left thousands dead and led to one of the world's worst humanitarian crises. About 7 million people are facing starvation and one million people have been infected with cholera. 


blog comments powered by Disqus

Subscribe via RSS or Email:

Palestinians killed in protests aga...

Read More

Five key developments since Trump's...

Read More

Protests held worldwide against Jer...

Read More

Israel delegation to visit Bahrain ...

Read More

Siege of Qatar 'arbitrarily splitti...

Read More

ISIL weapons traced to US and Saudi...

Read More

Global_News

Relatives of crew members from missing vessels are demanding the search operation continues until it is found.

Read More

Donation

Thanks to all of our supporters for your generosity and your encouragement of an independent press!

Enter Amount:

Featured_Author

Login






Login reminder Forgot login?

Subscribe to MWC News Alert

Email Address

Subscribe in a reader Facebok page Twitter page

Week in Pictures

From snowfall to sunshine

Palestinians hold 'day of rage'