Former Libyan fighters demanding unpaid stipends have attacked and surrounded the headquarters of the interim government, witnesses say.
The attack on Tuesday left three dead and several others wounded, according to an interior ministry official.
A defence ministry spokesperson confirmed there were dead and injured, but he did not know casualty numbers.
"Many men encircled the building and opened fire against it with weapons including anti-aircraft cannons," a government employee present during the attack told the AFP news agency.
Several lorries mounted with anti-aircraft guns surrounded the building in central Tripoli, blocking traffic, the witnesses said.
The headquarters has previously been attacked, but our correspondent said that one of the fighters he spoke to described Tuesday's attack as the most serious.
Nasser al-Manaa, an interim government spokesperson, said the defence minister was negotiating with the fighters, who "came in protest over [unpaid] stipends", referring to a reward scheme for those who fought against Muammar Gaddafi's regime last year.
|< Prev||Next >|
Other articles in Africa
Gaddafi spy chief to face trial in Libya 12 October 2013
AU says Kenya leader should not go to trial 12 October 2013
African leaders discuss relationship with ICC 11 October 2013
UN votes to boost humanitarian support in CAR 11 October 2013
Liberia's Taylor to serve sentence in UK jail 11 October 2013
Blast damages Swedish consulate in Libya 11 October 2013
Malawi cabinet dissolved over graft scandal 10 October 2013
Profile: Ali Zeidan 10 October 2013
Kenyan president unlikely to appear at ICC 10 October 2013
Freed Libyan prime minister urges for calm 10 October 2013
|Timothy V. Gatto|