George Zimmerman, a former neighbourhood watch volunteer accused of murdering 17-year-old Trayvon Martin earlier this year, has returned to police custody in Florida, after a judge revoked the suspect's bond, Zimmerman's defence team said.
Mark O'Mara, an attorney, said that Zimmerman, charged with second-degree murder for shooting dead the unarmed black youth, was detained again on Sunday.
Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester ordered Zimmerman to return to custody on Friday within 48 hours because the suspect and his wife, Shellie, misled the court about how much money they had available when his bond was set for $150,000 in April.
During the bond hearing, the couple had said they had limited funds. But prosecutors said Zimmerman raised about $135,000 through a website he set up to draw donations for his legal defence.
The 28-year-old has pleaded not guilty to the murder charge and says he acted in self-defence when he opened fire on Martin.
The shooting occurred in February during a confrontation at a gated community of houses in Sanford, Florida, where Zimmerman lived and where Martin was visiting his father's fiance.
The neighbourhood watch volunteer's arrest was delayed by 44 days, however, leading to protests across the US that forced the Sanford police chief to resign.
Prosecutor Bernie De la Rionda described the Zimmermans' testimony as "misleading".
"This court was led to believe they didn't have a single penny," said De la Rionda. "It was misleading and I don't know what words to use other than it was a blatant lie."
|< Prev||Next >|
Other articles in Americas
Zuluaga wins first round of #Colombia election 26 May 2014
#Hollywood director's son 'shoots six dead' 24 May 2014
Rare meteor shower to illuminate Americas 24 May 2014
US states revise death penalty options 23 May 2014
Police among suspects in US child porn bust 22 May 2014
#Brazil bus strike sparks Sao Paulo chaos 21 May 2014
#CIA will end use of vaccine ruse for spying 21 May 2014
Colombia's Zuluaga denies hacking claims 21 May 2014
UK preacher Abu Hamza found guilty in US 19 May 2014
Dozens of children burn to death in #Colombia 19 May 2014
|Denis G. Rancourt|